- Fess Parker sings "The Ballad of David Crockett" on a Disney television show -- video was a little hitchy on my computer.
- Fess Parker sings "The Ballad of David Crockett" on a 78rpm record, with a montage of Fess as Crockett and Boone, though you will not be able to tell the difference; also features some images of Crockett merchandise from the craze of 1954, when young baby boomers' enthusiasm sold $300 million of Crockett-themed paraphernalia
- Opening credits sequence from the 1960s Daniel Boone TV series, which was in effect a revival of Fess Parker's Crockett character -- this appears to be the Spanish-language version, but the visuals and theme song are the same
- "The Ballad of Jesse James" sung by an English skiffle band
- "The Ballad of Jesse James" performed by Ry Cooder, from the film The Long Riders, with footage of the Jesse James house in St. Joseph
- FYI, the lyrics of "The Ballad of Jesse James," or one common version of them
Sunday, March 9, 2008
Davy Crockett and Jesse James on YouTube
Here are some links to the YouTube videos I was trying to use in class last Thursday, featuring modern renditions of the Crockett and James mythologies, with a Crockett-fied Daniel Boone as well. I still may show some of these, but you might want to check them out yourselves. This web site on 1950s Crockett mania is also well worth reading. Be sure to read both pages.